These are some of the commands I use, often on a daily basis, in my adventures as a sysadmin.
For this tutorial, the following assumptions are made. Adjust any parameters as is necessary.
- The host’s drive/partition that is to be shared is
- The drive’s filesystem is
- The guest that the drive is to be shared with has the ID
- The drive will be mounted to
/mnt/driveon the guest
Whenever you login to Proxmox you are greeted with an alert stating “You do not have a valid subscription for this server. Please visit www.proxmox.com to get a list of available options.” The point of this alert is to entice you into buying a support subscription from the guys that make Proxmox. While I have absolutely no problem with a company trying to make money (especially when the actual product they offer is free), I’m a typical hardheaded engineer-turned-sysadmin, so of course I don’t need support! As such, this alert is incredibly annoying and utterly pointless (for me). This short tutorial will demonstrate how you can remove the alert.
This post covers a few of the hostname-related issues I used to have when launching new CentOS instances.
Swapping is the process of moving data from a system’s memory (RAM) to a preconfigured space on the hard drive, known as the
swap space. Enabling swap, in many cases, is an easy and cheap way to squeeze a little more from a server. The most beneficial feature of swap is that it allows your system to use more memory resources than you have physical RAM.
A perfect example of how this is helpful comes from real life. The other day I decided to revisit the ownCloud project to see how it had matured since I last tried it. For my test platform I spun up a small DigtialOcean Droplet with 512mb of RAM. During my initial syncing of files MySQL kept exhausting all of the RAM, crashing, and bringing the whole ownCloud service to its knees. Even after tweaking MySQL the problem still persisted. Then it dawned on me that, like most virtual machines, DigitalOcean Droplets don’t have swap enabled by default. So, instead of adding more physical ram (ie: costing more money) I enabled swap, and the problem went away.